ToILing Away With Uqaylids - Game 4 vs Nikeforian Byzantines

After 3 successful games, including 2 outright victories I am now lying in 2nd place in the competition 5 points behind Paul Cummins and his thrice victorious Nikeforian Byzantines.

If either of us breaks the opponent we are guaranteed first place in the competition. So all to play for; read on to see what happened ...

So, in an outrageous turn of fortune we have an historically plausible match-up on top table in the final round of a wargames competition. A travesty I say 😂😂😂

Final reminder of my army:

For the 4th time I was invaded. We ended up in Standard territory with bits of rough terrain on both flanks and a big open space in the middle. I'd have liked some rough somewhere in the middle, but wasn't too bothered about not getting it.

I outscouted the Normans by 80% - however, due to a bit of communication failure Paul thought it was 90%, but it didn't really make any material difference and I matched the percentage he had deployed.

Paul's army deployed across the open area with his cavalry on his left and the infantry deploying leftwards from them. He had some skirmisher infantry in the rough terrain on his right, but there was nothing contesting the terrain on the other flank. His cavalry was based around a "full fat" Norman unit and a Superior Tagmatic unit, with a Thematic unit and Prokoursatores in support. His infantry mixed Skoutatoi units with a couple of Varangian/Rhos units, one of which was Superior.

I weighted my deployment to my right. Bedouin cavalry in Skirmisher formation were to go through the rough ground with Ghilman to their left. The Kurds and an Armoured Cavalry unit deployed next and somewhat back. then Ghilman and the skirmisher infantry. The Dailami were lext with the other Armoured Cavalry supporting them and a Bedouin on the left.

My plan was to attack Paul's left whilst holding up as long as possible on the left.

It looked like this:


And from the other flank.


The first moves went much as expected. A steady Byzantine advance and my army moving to threaten the Byzantine left with the Bedouin of that flank going through the rough. On the left I advance as well so as to limit the Byzantine ability to wheel towards by centre and camp - I will be looking to withdraw should my discs permit, but losses are expected here.

The one Byzantine move that I found a bit unexpected was that Paul instead of advancing the Normans with the other cavalry moved them towards his left flank. He had decided that their hefty punch, no doubt in association with the Varangians/Rhos would be able to overwhelm my left rapidly and open up the flank. It would risk his left a bit, but it was a positive and aggressive option to take. Certainly meant that I needed to be positive myself on my right as we'd be in a race to see who could turn the opposition line first.


The next move saw these opposing plans develop. Paul pulled back some of his units on his left to hinder my attack. In response I pushed forward with pretty much all my units on the right.

Paul's right advanced and I more or less maintained position, I didn't have the discs to pull back and I felt that I needed to make sure the Normans were fully committed - might sound a little odd as this was Paul's strongest attack, but I needed them in a position where they couldn't intervene as I was planning throwing a Ghilman unit at a unit of the Skoutatoi.


Again a view of the same position from the other angle.


Charges now occur. As noted I charge a Skoutatoi unit that is fairly central in the Byzantine line with Ghilman - I feel this favours the Ghilman due to their being Superior, but it can go wrong. At the same time my Kurds charge the small Thematic unit and my Armoured Cavalry are charged by the Tagmata who have Shoot & Charge.

The Skoutatoi shooting at the Ghilman cause 3 Wounds (maximum they can do) and I wonder if it going to one of those games, however, that is all the damage they manage in the turn and at the end I have taken 2 bases off the Skoutatoi and have a disc to buy off the Wound remaining on my unit. I'll take that 😀

The Kurds and Thematic cavalry swap a base and the Tagmata lose a base to no loss for me. Overall I am quite happy with the combat this turn.

On the right my Bedouin are ganging up on the Prokoursatores - the latter and one of my units have now flexed into Loose formation. On the left the Normans have arrived at a point where they will be able to charge my Dailami next move and troops are moving up to support the Normans. Things are moving along apace.


The following move does not see anything dramatic happen, but there are a number of important developments.

My Ghilman break the Skoutatoi, however, their pursuit is the shortest possible (1 BW) and this encourages Paul to turn a unit of Varangians/Rhos to be able to charge them in the rear in the next move. I was not convinced this was a great move as my Ghilman could avoid it by evading forwards, however, it leave put Paul's unit pointing at the rest of my right wing heavy cavalry and placed behind their flank so i can see the thinking. It would, of course rely on my cavalry still being there.

Talking of my other cavalry, the combats this turn were utter rubbish for both sides with zero damage being done to any unit - and with the infantry move noted above probably, therfore, favoured Paul. I was, however, able to move my right hand Ghilman unit into a position to flank charge the Tagmata next move.

On my left the Normans stormed into the Dailami but could only contact 1 base which limited their charge effect. After the charges and melees had been resolved the Dailami had lost 2 bases and no damage on the Normans. I was happy enough.

Further to my left I moved my cavalry units there rightwards aiming to redeploy them towards my centre. The second Dailami unit would have to fend for itself.


Alternative angle again to better show my left wing.


Again the next move isn't dramatic but things are moving my way and Paul is being frustrated by my army in a few ways.

As mentioned when charged by the Varangians/Rhos my Ghiman Run Away to their front - they benefit from the ability to add 1 to the dice for being Superior to go an extra BW and then move another 2 BW as a post-evade move; so 8 BW forward in total 😁 A Skoutatoi unit does come up behind them but I don't see this as a real risk as they can just evade again and are now pointing at the Byzantine camp.

The flank charge on the Tagmata isn't devastating but at the end of the move the Tagmata are down to 3 bases and so 1 Wound from breaking.

My Kurds fail to break through the Thematic and as they are threatened in the flank they Break Off so removing this possibility. They will have the option to charge back in next move of course.

On my left Paul's Normans fail to do any more damage on the Dailami due to woeful dice and my Armoured cavalry safely complete their redeployment to the centre.

Overall I'm quite happy with how it is going.


Next move is eventful.

My Ghilman, Armoured Cavalry and Kurds break the Tagmata and Themtic cavalry. Their pursuits then put them in excellent positions for charging Byzantines next move - the Ghilman into the flank of the Varangians/Rhos who had tried to get into the flanks of my cavalry, and who were also facing Armoured cavalry to their front so where pretty much doomed.

The other Ghilman unit moved up close to the Byzantine camp and would be able to charge it next turn. To frustrate Paul the Normans once again failed to do anything more to the Dailami they were fighting.


The game finished the following move. One unit of Ghilman sacked the Byzantine camp and the other with the Armoured Cavalry destroyed the Varangian/Rhos unit they had at their mercy. And, as a final insult, the Dailami again survived.

It ended 15-0 to me which was most unfair on Paul, I think 15-6 or 15-8 would have been a far more just result. His Normans were just a bit useless.

This, of course, left me on top of the heap and, for the next 12 month, the holder of the annual ToIL trophy 😁


Full results were:


Pictures of the armies at deployment.












Comments

Popular Posts

MeG Skullrollers 2021 - Lists, Lists, Lists

Britcon 2023 - The Army Lists

Britcon 2022 - All The Lists